MasterCard Foundation offers scholarships for first-time undergraduate or postgraduate degree-seeking African students at the University of Cape Town (UCT), in South Africa for the 2019/2020 academic session.
The scholarships ensure a premium educational package that will produce graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognized and locally applicable, and whose transition into the workforce is underpinned by values of engaged citizenship and social justice.
These scholarships cover the full period of study and are renewable annually subject to satisfactory performance and participation in the activities and opportunities offered by the programme. Successful candidates will be required to commit themselves to return to their home countries and to invest their gained skills and education in their country’s social and economic growth.
Worth of Award
The Scholarship includes;
- Comprehensive financial assistance with visa applications, travel, tuition, living expenses, medical aid, and accommodation.
- A relevant and recognized education through academic curricula aimed at producing graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognized and locally applicable.
- Academic and peer mentor support – to ensure that each Scholar successfully progresses academically.
- An array of cultural and transition support and training aimed at academic and professional enrichment and assisting in the challenges facing university going students.
- Career and internship opportunities in Africa, service learning, experiential learning – career guidance and support for the transition to further study or the workforce.
- Leadership development and training.
- Alumni networks for further support.
In order to be considered for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, applicants must be:
- Academically talented – value learning and are driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged – facing significant financial barriers to completing their education.
- Committed to giving back – investing in their communities, using the skills and knowledge that they have acquired.
- Future leaders – committed to embracing ethical leadership and making a positive change in their home communities.
How to Apply
In order to apply for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program;
- Applicants must first apply to the University of Cape Town for academic study and placement.
- Only applicants, who have applied for academic study and placement to UCT, can submit an application for a Mastercard Foundation scholarship.
- Step 1: academic application; In preparing an academic application to UCT, it is essential that applicants refer to various resources for guidance.
- UCT’s undergraduate and postgraduates prospectus provides information on courses at UCT, how to apply to the University, as well as support structures available for undergraduate students at the University.
- Step 2: Collate the necessary supporting documents to Strengthen your academic application
- Step 3: Apply online for academic study and placement
Deadline: Application closes on October 31, 2019.